Monday, June 25, 2007

A New Companion

There is no hope that I may actually keep this journal current. Too many events transpire, and they transpire with such alarming rapidity, and as I have said, I have never been particularly good at the discipline required for journals.

I have taken a companion, a young woman I met while in Caledon. And speaking of discipline, I dare say she may possess not one wit nor iota, but she is filled with energy and passion, and I find I am very much in need of company so endowed. Her name is Artemesia Paine, and she does not yet know my strange story, but believes me only another eccentric Babbage scientist. It's a guise I fear I wear all too well! Miss Paine is an educated woman, with knowledge which will aid in my work, and I shall also be glad of the conversation. I have felt quite welcomed here, but I keep to myself, for the most part, so it will be healthy to have someone in the flat with me. I should add, she has as a pet a trained crow, a vexing, rowdy creature, though I will do my best to grow accustomed to its presence.

This morning I was watching the sun rise over the sea east of Babbage (if this sea has a name, I have not yet learned of it), when Sir Arthur appeared, and we walked and spoke of my desire to open a geological institute here in the city. By necessity, the conversation wandered to such dull matters as finance and management. Though, in truth, between lycanthropy and faeries and what-have-you, I must say I find myself more open to the every-day and the humdrum. I shall begin my work towards an actual museum by opening a modest exhibition in a building located in the northwest portion of Babbage, where Sir Arthur is already promoting projects of his own. I am fortunate, by the way, that Father was so thoughtful and possessed of such foresight as to lay in a generous supply of gold in the hold of his time-traveling cabinet. I shall not presently want for funds, so far as rent and other general expenses are concerned. The construction of exhibits, however, will require a more thoughtful handling of my remaining assets, and the day may yet arrive when I have to seek some paying position here in Babbage, or perhaps in some region of Caledon.

I have given some thought to the planning of the exhibition, including the possibility of mounting a fossil skeleton of the remarkable giant from the New Jersey marls, Professor Leidy's Hadrosaurus. I am also looking into acquiring the remains of a marine saurian, a member of the Plesiosauria or Ichthyosauria, perhaps. At any rate, I have hopes and schemes, and they keeps my mind busy.

I am meeting people, slowly. There is a fine young gentleman, Miguel Pinion, who has opened a fabulous cabinet of mechanical curiosities, housed in the most outlandish of quarters, directly opposite my flat. And I have already mentioned Miss Kaylee Frye, who has a marvelous workshop here, and Capt. Susenko and his Miss Maertens, as well as Col. Scaggs. I have not mentioned Dr. Voom, one of the eccentrics I spoke of, who visited and kindly brought a gift of strawberries. It is good to know this world has strawberries, for no world would be fit without them.

My eyes are wandering on the page. I confess I have been at the absinthe, a weakness I have brought with me from home. But I suspect even Father would forgive my drinking after the things I have experienced over the past twenty six days.

The dreams are not so bad as before, and I begin to wonder if my connection of all those other Nareth Nishis has begun to fade. The thought buoys my spitits, though perhaps it ought not.

No comments: