Thursday, July 26, 2007

Keeping Busy

Work with the Museum has consumed much of the past three days. Miss Paine has been a great help with these matters. New gas lighting fixtures arrived from Caledon and have been installed — one in the atrium, two in the gallery, so that nocturnal visitors may not have to squint so furiously. The floor has been laid a second time, after I decided the marble was unsuitable due to the frequency and severity of expansion cracks. Text has been written and printed for various exhibits. Frames for the first three portraits have been purchased. I believe the plesiosaur and ichthyosaur mounts will be next.

For the moment, I will say little about my entry of 24 July. It has become too familiar and too distasteful a cycle, first writing out my wild ramblings and then dismissing them. For now, I will say only that I do not like to look at what I have written upon those pages.

Word has reached New Babbage of a second "Martian" invasion, this time in Steelhead. Apparently, the mechanical tripods were accompanied by a steam-powered pachyderm. Babbage has no military, and it makes me wonder how we would weather or respond to such an incursion.

No comments: